THE present Catalogue of the Armenian Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library, one hundred and twenty-four in number, was begun in 1883 by the Rev. Sukias Baronian, who worked at it as opportunity offered until his death in 1904, by which time MSS. 1-63 had been dealt with. In 1912 Mr. F. C. Conybeare kindly undertook to complete the Catalogue and compile the Indexes, and his services to the Library are gratefully acknowledged. In such a case of dual authorship, spread over thirty-five years, some inconsistencies must inevitably be found. The printing began in 1889 and much of Dr. Baronian's work was printed off before his death. The text of the whole Catalogue was in print before the end of 1914.
The Index of Shelfmarks shows that the first Armenian Manuscripts were received from Archbishop Laud in 1635, and that Dr. Thomas Marshall, Dr. Edward Pococke and Archbishop Narcissus Marsh, with others, contributed to the building up of the Collection. A considerable number also were bought by Mr. E. W. B. Nicholson in the course of his long librarianship, including fifty in the year 1899.